Hospitality industry offers high perks and incentives, but also requires rigorous hard-work to establish a distinct mark. Hospitality industry encompasses Hotel Management, Tourism, Travel Management and allied services in its ambit. To scale up the ladder of success, aspirants must possess sound technical, interpersonal and management qualities along with the overall knowledge of industry operations. Below are 10 must have skills that professionals should possess:
1. Interpersonal Skills: Since this field is directly related with people and is aimed at maximizing customer satisfaction, therefore, it is vital for professionals to possess the ability to effectively communicate with people and exhibit soft skills like politeness, empathy, etc.
2. Problem-Solving Attitude: It is pertinent for aspirants to have analytical mindset. They should be able to critically evaluate a situation and present creative & viable solutions.
3. Commitment: They should be determined and committed towards the goal of customer gratification, hence, should be willing to make extra efforts to achieve the objectives.
4. Organizing Skills: Professionals must have the ability to manage different operations. They should know the craft of multi-tasking, time management and organization.
5. Team Work: An essential characteristic is to be a team player. They must be able to take orders from seniors, delegate duties and understand their own role as a team member.
6. Flexibility: People in this domain may have to work at odd hours or continuously for long hours. Thus, they must be available and willing to work in case of emergency or to meet the requirements.
7. Business Skills: It is essential for aspirants to possess in-depth knowledge of different aspects and operations that are involved in the industry such as finance, marketing, etc.
8. Cultural Awareness: Since, professionals in this domain meet and deal with people from different cultural background, thus, they to serve them the best, they must be well-aware of diverse customs and values.
9. Ability to Learn New: It is eminent for professionals in this domain to have the curiosity to learn new things and keep themselves up to date with industry trends, competition, customer preferences, etc.
10. Technical and Language Skills: Possessing sound technical and language knowledge allows professionals to attain an edge over others in this domain.